Read&Write is a Google Chrome Extension, or add-on, that facilitates text accessibility for a variety of learners in many ways. By using Read&Write, students can have digital text highlighted and read to them through a device's speakers or with headphones. Additionally, Read&Write allows students to dictate their writing, giving them the ability to compose in ways that are appropriate for their ability. Read&Werite is automatically installed on all APS Google Accounts. In order to access it, you need to be using Google Chrome as your browser.
To access Read&Write, open up a Google Doc and click on the purple puzzle piece (see below).
Let me know if you have any questions! Honestly, the best way to get used to Read&Write is to use it. I suggest introducing it to your students and just letting them play. Of course, I'm happy to schedule a time to come in and help you launch it in your class!
From Read&Write for Google Chrome:
Wonderfully intuitive and easy-to-use, Read&Write for Google Chrome™ provides personalized support to make documents, web pages and common file types in Google Drive (including: Google Docs, PDF, ePub & Kes) more accessible. It’s designed to help everyone engage with digital content in a way that suits his/her abilities and learning styles.
Read&Write offers a range of powerful support tools to help you gain confidence with reading, writing, studying and research, including:
• Text-to-speech to hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting
• Text and picture dictionaries to see the meaning of words explained
• With speech-to-text, dictate words to assist with writing, proofreading & studying
• Word prediction offers suggestions for the current or next word as you type
• Collect highlights from text in documents or the web for summarizing and research
• Create and listen to voice notes directly inside of Google Docs
• Simplify and summarize text on web pages to remove ads and other copy that can be distracting